Alphabetical Listing of Historic Shoe companies
Alden Shoe Companyhttp://www.aldenshoe.com/history.htm
The Alden Shoe Company was founded in 1884 by Charles H. Alden in Middleborough, Massachusetts.
By 1933, at Charles Alden's retirement, operations moved to Brockton, Massachusetts and joined with the Old Colony factory.
Badger State Shoe Company The building was constructed in 1910 after the company had originally expanded its production to Madison in 1900. It was also designated a landmark by the Madison Landmarks Commission in 1989.
The original building, which faced south on Central Street, was constructed of wood with a brick foundation. The building was expanded by two wings in 1894, extending it to the railroad tracks on the west and to Second Street on the east. The factory, which produced ladies' shoes of various styles, was very successful and was a major employer in Hallowell. The Johnson business was closed in April of 1927, and the building was occupied by the Kennebec Shoe Company from 1934 to 1953. The abandoned building was torn down in May 1955